Alchemical Garden Forum

Please visit Entering the Garden and discover what are our sustaining roots. You may only apply with us if you agree and consent to our Community Vision and Purpose and Ethos and Ethical Guidelines.

The registration includes writing a letter of application in which you sincerely tell us why you wish to join.

group study Herbal first aid

Group study openly invites people to learn and exchange thoughts together based on premises that are always explicitly pointed out, however loose they might be. Any fixed discussion outcomes aren't called for, but the intent is in personal growth and understanding. It's good to keep mindful and respectful of both what is and what isn't relevant for discussion though.

Energetic conflict(s):      None. Only usual carefulness is asked.

Discussion premise:      Comparative study (e.g. formal cultivation methods across different traditions, generic Qigong training principles, folk traditions, etc.)

Corvus

Practitioner
Tutor
@Corvus , interesting reading. The second I saw you mention Yarrow I knew you were a Biodynamics guy lol...would love to hear more about the preparation making that you did. I haven't got any of the preparations yet but hopefully will try my hand at it in the future. Does it really work as well as advertised?

I won't list all the details as that can be looked up online. Its a big subject to write about generally , I'd be happy to answer any specific questions .

It was a little frustrating because the people I worked with where 'Steinerites' , ie. they did what they did as directed by Steiner , but had little ( none actually ) of the base hermetic understanding that Steiner developed his products with ... in concert with his clairvoyance - they seemed to think it was all clairvoyant / 'channeled' knowledge .

Generally, we got many products from a 'BD primary producer' ; the flowers ( dried yarrow ,chamomile, dandelion , valerian etc ) from a place that specialized in growing certain flowers for medicinal and aromatic purposes - very good quality most of the time , vibrant . The unusual things like ram's bladders came from I dont know where , they came in the mail in a dried form and where tricky to work with . The cow horns came from the abattoir , along with other parts, including cow heads ( yuk ! * ) , oak bark and stinging nettle we harvested ourselves . To make 501 we hunted and bought good quality quartz crystal rods ... the smashed them , but we would have to send them away for special grinding to make them into a fine white powder .

For preps that need burying we did it in old clay drain pipes ( there is that 'vibrational' issue again :( ) or 2 clay flower pots joined together ( much better idea ) .

Also in the storage shed, the main bulk of prep ( 500 ) was stored in old bath tubs .... metal - thats actually a no no . Oh well .

Here is an 'amusing' story ; one preparation is made from fermenting oak bark inside a cows skull and leaving it in a swamp for a year . So, off we go in the work ute, like one of these

glacier-white.jpg

with an open back - to the abattoir to get a load of cow heads . Abattoir guy asks if we want them trimmed ( cut off ears, cheeks and other bits ) - may as well . So now we have a ute load of 'trimmed' cow heads - grotesque ! The looks we got as we where driving along ! It got a bit hot so we stopped at a service center and bought half a freezer full off ice bags and chucked them in the back . Man, did that load look weird . Got them back to the 'farm' then you have to remove the brain from the head , after that got to stuff the oak bark up in there . Then, since no swamp handy the boss shoves them in plastic barrels full of water ! ( Nooooooo ! ) . AND screwed lids on ! A couple weeks later, after some nasty explosions, the lids where just rested on top .

Then comes the fun part . We used to have people from the agricultural college coming for a weeks 'education' on BD . So they are all standing around watching . The boss takes a rancid gooey head out, puts it on the table in the yard and raises a big hatchet ..... due to my 'psychic prowess ' (or is it just that I sometimes pay attention to what is going on ;) ) I took 4 steps back and got behind the crowd ..... wack ! splatter - all over everyone (except me and 2 others at the back . No result ( except flying goo ) ... and ... wait for it .... he does it again . On the third time I had had enough, stepped foreward grabbed the hatchet, turned the head and placed the corner of the blade in between the skull sutures and tapped it with a hammer and twisted it and cracked the skull open . Boss "Where did you learn to do that ! "

Me; " Its common sense , go for the weak bit , you where whacking it between the horns ... thats gotta be the strongest part of the skull ! "

Such is the fun with working with BDs .

Does it work as well as advertised ? That depends on what advertising you read and what it says . To do BD first you need to be organic , make your own compost , use certain considerations in setting up and method and all that will give good result before you even start BD . BD is more a fine tuning , an harmonic relationship between the elements on a farm and the farmer ... if you are in tune, and know and understand hermetics and alchemy you can work it out yourself - and thats a better way , as a lot of BD is based on North hemisphere Euro stuff , thats fine if you happen to live in that environment .

One thing is, the products will not harm your farm or environment . Some insist it works , eg wine makers where a big customer , they insist it effects the 'terrier' of wine :) ( yet sometimes expert wine tasters, in blind experiments , have rated wines on a scale from cheap bad to excellent .... and it was all the same wine :D .

One thing, I did my own experiments with, the compost preps and made full BD compost according to instructions - it was the most unusual substance , not like any compost I had seen before ; dark chocolate color , full of little bugs of all different types,incredibly light , you could stick your hand in, grab some and pull out a bit as big as a basket ball, then with a little knock it would crumble apart . Very good in the soil ! I have made heaps off compost beffore and after , it was never like that .

* Yuk, as BD is supposedly vibrational, and the vibs at the abattoir ! Ideally all this should happen 'on the farm' and all products used should be from there . If you slaughtered your own cattle / meat you would have access to 'the internals' , heads and horns as a by product . But this was a business and many things where done in a way with 'business 'in mind .

• Equanimity
Reactions:

khuf

Student
I won't list all the details as that can be looked up online.
I suppose I'll mention here that so far my exposure to BD has been reading the Agricultural course by Steiner and a few other books/videos published by his organization and those that subscribe to his methods. I have been into agriculture (small-scale stuff for family only) ever since I was a kid and we only grow organically. Getting exposed to Steiner's work really showed me what's possible. Based on the stories you gave, there really is a big difference between reading about something and experiencing it first hand though lol.

It was a little frustrating because the people I worked with where 'Steinerites' , ie. they did what they did as directed by Steiner , but had little ( none actually ) of the base hermetic understanding that Steiner developed his products with ... in concert with his clairvoyance - they seemed to think it was all clairvoyant / 'channeled' knowledge
This I find very interesting as I also thought that Steiner's work was all due to his clairvoyance. How then can one gain the hermetic understanding? You also mentioned that one can work it out for your specific conditions....I'm guessing some clairvoyant capabilities are required here?

One thing, I did my own experiments with, the compost preps and made full BD compost according to instructions - it was the most unusual substance , not like any compost I had seen before ; dark chocolate color , full of little bugs of all different types,incredibly light , you could stick your hand in, grab some and pull out a bit as big as a basket ball, then with a little knock it would crumble apart . Very good in the soil ! I have made heaps off compost beffore and after , it was never like that .
This type of compost is some of the "advertising" I was exposed to :) Glad to know that you were able to get that consistency. One question here...there are claims that the preps stay good year on year if stored properly...did you find this to be the case also?

Then comes the fun part . We used to have people from the agricultural college coming for a weeks 'education' on BD . So they are all standing around watching . The boss takes a rancid gooey head out, puts it on the table in the yard and raises a big hatchet ..... due to my 'psychic prowess ' (or is it just that I sometimes pay attention to what is going on ;) ) I took 4 steps back and got behind the crowd ..... wack ! splatter - all over everyone (except me and 2 others at the back . No result ( except flying goo ) ... and ... wait for it .... he does it again . On the third time I had had enough, stepped foreward grabbed the hatchet, turned the head and placed the corner of the blade in between the skull sutures and tapped it with a hammer and twisted it and cracked the skull open . Boss "Where did you learn to do that ! "

Me; " Its common sense , go for the weak bit , you where whacking it between the horns ... thats gotta be the strongest part of the skull ! "

Such is the fun with working with BDs .
Not sure if fun is the right word...did make me laugh though. As a lifelong vegetarian, I'm not sure if I could ever have the stomach to deal with the oak bark prep. The scene at the abattoir must also have been gruesome. If I ever get the chance to visit/work on a BD farm and they're doing this work on my first day, then I might just end up setting a record for the shortest ever stay on a farm lol. I did wonder though if there could be substitutes for the animal products used in Steiner's formulas...I would imagine it might be difficult to get the same outcome though as the cow certainly seems to have special qualities. This probably goes back to your comment about having the base understanding yourself first.

Overall I must say thanks for the in-depth post...it's great hearing from someone knowledgeable in this field directly. Agricultural alchemy certainly is an interesting topic and one that I think is seriously undervalued in today's society...the ability to scientifically prove some of the claims might well be the reason for that though.

• Equanimity
Reactions:

Corvus

Practitioner
Tutor
I suppose I'll mention here that so far my exposure to BD has been reading the Agricultural course by Steiner and a few other books/videos published by his organization and those that subscribe to his methods. I have been into agriculture (small-scale stuff for family only) ever since I was a kid and we only grow organically. Getting exposed to Steiner's work really showed me what's possible. Based on the stories you gave, there really is a big difference between reading about something and experiencing it first hand though lol.

Did you 'read the course' or read THE BOOK 'Agricultural Lectures' ? I ask because it seemed rare for people to read the book .

I started off working in BDAA ( BD Agriculture Australia ) as a preparations assistant after the first month and a bit the preparations 'maker' slipped down some stairs and fractured a vertebrae . I was told no one else could do his job and I was the only one to do it , some could help me with some things ( we also did orders, packing and mailing out ) and to read 'Agricultural Lectures' which I did . After wards I asked people some questions, includling the CEO that had an office there . They didnt know what I was talking about . Then they 'got it' ; "Oh, you read the whole book ! You dont have to do that , to pass the course you ony have to answer questions about Ch x, y , z. ( cant remember which numbers but they are the main ones about making the preparations ) .

I found out no one there had read the whole book ! All that background knowledge - to put the essentials in context , not read ?

Yeah , life on the farm can be 'an experience' first hand ..... especially if it has beef cattle .... and they eat meat .

This I find very interesting as I also thought that Steiner's work was all due to his clairvoyance. How then can one gain the hermetic understanding? You also mentioned that one can work it out for your specific conditions....I'm guessing some clairvoyant capabilities are required here?

Its basic hermetic knowledge ; the underlaying processes and stages are the same as alchemy ; The primary matter , as described in a few texts , is clearly cow dung, the cow horn is the alembic , the constant temperature of the earth burial is the athanoor ... thats for 500. 501 is made from , as the same text describes, a substance deep within the earth , quartz crystals are used , etc .

Each stone has a specific quality ( see ' 777' or relevant passages sin Agrippa ) ... jeeze, I am not up on this anymore, I could rattle it off from memory before . EG. I 'happened ' upon a large quantity of crushed topaz, I suggest we use it like the quartz preparation , each stone has an elemental, planetary and zodiacal attribution ( I think) topaz relates to Taurus , earth /air , Venus . So it can bring fertility to the soil ( in a slower but more stable way ) and is good to assist in soil respiration . Theoretically , any substance can be used and its qualities extracted and 'broadcast ' .

Some work more directly and physically ; eg preps that treat 'soil intelligence' have been shown to boost microorganism activity and 'threads' they make underground and that works like an extension of the root system , like the soils nervous system and they can pass nutrients and information ('intelligence' ) along it and from one plant to another - for a long distance .

Anyway, none of them knew the qualities of topaz nor the theory behind the substance as either , they had not read those chapters in the book , or they had no idea about the magical properties and usages of stones and minerals .... Steiner never said to use topaz , you are supposed to use quartz . " Although no one could say WHY ." Steiner was not to be changed ! But people changed it anyway .... people that where 'big' in the organization ... and THEIR changes where accepted . But still not understood . Eg. I pointed out a discrepancy ( which lead to many customers queries and confusions ) about planting guides and astrological usage times ) between sidereal and tropical usages in the material they where recommending . No one seemed to be able to comprehend that either . By now I was becoming annoying to them , but all such queries where directed to me as the staff didnt have a clue .

But that is all general and 'in the office ' . When one is 'on the farm' it all becomes a lot ore 'magical' and one becomes in tune and adapts to conditions accordingly . I used to get the funniest queries . many a time I would have to explain to people ; " The first prerequisite of griculture is GOOD soil . (and we dont have much of that in Australia ) And also that, in Australia, farming and normal veggie gardening is NOT natural ... we never had the cow or other bovine , that is a pre requisite for originally forming farmland in the first place , and keeping the cycle going .

Sorry folks .... even a carrot aint natural ... even a 'heirloom' variety .

This type of compost is some of the "advertising" I was exposed to :) Glad to know that you were able to get that consistency. One question here...there are claims that the preps stay good year on year if stored properly...did you find this to be the case also?

depends on which prep , 501 can probably store indefinably, the 'brews' need store time to ferment , I prefer to use the 'teas' fresh .

Not sure if fun is the right word...did make me laugh though. As a lifelong vegetarian, I'm not sure if I could ever have the stomach to deal with the oak bark prep. The scene at the abattoir must also have been gruesome. If I ever get the chance to visit/work on a BD farm and they're doing this work on my first day, then I might just end up setting a record for the shortest ever stay on a farm lol. I did wonder though if there could be substitutes for the animal products used in Steiner's formulas...I would imagine it might be difficult to get the same outcome though as the cow certainly seems to have special qualities. This probably goes back to your comment about having the base understanding yourself first.

Well, since you can get good results from organics alone one can do without such gruesome products . There are some well known substitution eg here they use a native tree casurina in stead of the recommended equisitum .

of coure the simplest way is just to buy those compost preps that are tricky and make the simple ones yourself ( like nettle tea ) .
Overall I must say thanks for the in-depth post...it's great hearing from someone knowledgeable in this field directly. Agricultural alchemy certainly is an interesting topic and one that I think is seriously undervalued in today's society...the ability to scientifically prove some of the claims might well be the reason for that though.

The garden can be a very magical and fun place :)

maxresdefault.jpg

• Equanimity
Reactions:

khuf

Student
Did you 'read the course' or read THE BOOK 'Agricultural Lectures' ? I ask because it seemed rare for people to read the book
read it via Kindle...called Agriculture and distributed by Steiner books...not sure if it's the same book you are referring to though.
Each stone has a specific quality ( see ' 777' or relevant passages sin Agrippa )
Thanks for this reference.
of coure the simplest way is just to buy those compost preps that are tricky and make the simple ones yourself ( like nettle tea ) .
definitely will try this method first when I get the garden back up and running

The garden can be a very magical and fun place :)
Indeed!