Alchemical Garden Forum

Please visit Entering the Garden and discover what are our sustaining roots. You may only apply with us if you agree and consent to our Community Vision and Purpose and Ethos and Ethical Guidelines.

The registration includes writing a letter of application in which you sincerely tell us why you wish to join.

journal Miffymog's Flying Phoenix Practice Journal

Dear diary! It was high time I started a journal. Today I did blah, blah, blah...

Keeping a track of your own training schedule and results can be very helpful to yourself and others.

Roots of Virtue

At Your Service
Staff member
Well, I am a little bit confused at the moment. To me, it very much feels that during the breath control sequence you draw energy up from the base of the torso (sexual energy) take it up to the head where it gets changed into spiritual energy. Then due to the partial out breaths this now spiritual energy is released into various parts of the body.

I would also echo what Earl said about the non-standard mechanism of Flying Phoenix. There also is a very subtle aspect in it that later allows you to access a particular type of heavenly energy, so it's not ever only about the energy of the physical body.

The thing is, having read what Terry Dunn has written, he says that although there are Back Fu Pai practices that use sexual energy, Flying Phoenix doesn't, so I'm not certain on this one.

The vital energy of living beings is fundamentally neutral and unimprinted. What could be described as the sexual charge is nothing else than the body-mind exhibiting one particular karmic conditioning: sexual maturity. Hence, not having even the subtlest thoughts about sex leads to spontaneous celibacy, which is one of the foundations of advanced yogic practice.

What is the use of sexual energy anyway in yogic arts? It can't be the conscious stimulation of sexual thoughts obviously because this would lead to the stimulation of reproductive functions (sex hormones and fluids), but there would have to be some kind energetic transmutation that briefly touches upon some sexual centers of the body, such as the navel chakra region, and giving a feeling similar to sexual bliss.

Young children have plenty of vitality and free spirit to go with it, but they haven't accessed their innate sexual impressions that trigger puberty and sexual desire. This is why their energy goes towards growth and their desires typically follow more innocent concerns that don't end up with forming great karmic entanglements which sex is pretty much all about. Could they safely practice internal arts that specifically utilize vital energy in a manner that goes through the sexual centers of the body? I don't know, but it could provoke unwanted consequences such as early puberty if not done entirely correctly.

In general, I would advice to be very careful with the topic of "sexual energy" because there are a lot of misconceptions and false advertisement associated with it. Almost everything marketed as "sexual practice" are ploys to spiritualize common greed and lewdness.

My curiosity has gotten the better of me, I saw 5 DVDs of Golden Flying Phoenix being demonstrated by GM DW and I really wanted to see how he performed the meditations. Having just recently ordered all of Terry Dunn's DVDs, I have more than enough practices to keep me busy for a couple of years, however it can still be really useful to see how other experts perform similar movements. I have no intention of studying them, but I am looking forward to watching them.

Golden Flying Phoenix is very advanced and has a specific yogic purpose which needs a particular type of readiness or supplementary instructions.

Beware that there are a lot of ill-gained and immorally peddled Bak Fu Pai videos and DVDs in circulation.

In my opinion, the level of practice and the subtle nuances which GMDW so casually demonstrates in all his videos, even those in Youtube, is inaccessible except to very high level yogis. Guard yourself against misimpressions and forming opinions in case you decide to follow through and watch his demonstrations.

In the beginning, sound will be very disrupting to the practice, and this is because your channels are opening and you're more sensitive. Later on, as you balance more from this proper practice, you won't notice disruptive sounds at all. I couldn't handle even a train passing by or neighbors closing and opening their doors for the first few months. I was extremely irritable then, and after a while, it wasn't that I got used to sudden noises, they just didn't register, as though the FP qi is filtering for me rather than me growing accustomed to it.

Give yourself some time and some music can help, especially Buddhist mantras.

I'll add a warning that while the more advanced trance states have a bigger threshold for disturbances, the actual physical and energetic shock for suddenly getting startled is going to be more severe:

There's nothing to worry about for the beginners or even many of the seasoned yogis, but it's good to have a balanced and realistic impression about what the disruption of the practice can cause. I know one yogi who had accessed the a mild dhyana trance for the first time when his doorbell suddenly and loudly rang, which shocked him back to the ordinary consciousness. He described that the bliss of trance turned into a sharp pain, so he took more precautions after that.

• Equanimity
Reactions:

Miffymog

Student
Curiously enough, just as I was working out what to write here, Roots of Virtue has nicely listed all the problems I was finding myself facing while trying to learn some Yi Quan from a book. Fortunately, I saw sense and dropped that practice. However, I did gain a nice beginners level of understanding behind some of the simpler principles behind the internal martial arts, which leads on to what I've been discovering about FPCK.

https://forum.alchemical.garden/threads/188/

'Slow movement is better than fast movement, no movement is better than slow movement.'
Wang Xiang Zhai

One of the first things that struck me when learning how to do FPCK, was that the dynamic meditations require you to 'move as slow as a sand drift'. Gaining your own understanding of how to interpret this is something that all FPCK practitioner have to reach. Just how slow is slow? And what are the consequences of going more and more slowly?

Performing a Tai Chi form slowly is one thing, but when you start imagining you are doing it in water or oil, a different type of development starts to occur.

One of the principles of the internal martial arts is to start using the subconsciously controlled postural muscles to move you rather than the consciously controlled mobilising muscles, but how do you engage them? Well, there are a number of ways to. Firstly, performing movements that allow them to become easily engaged. Secondly, moving slowly and smoothly in a relaxed manner. But this only takes you so far. So you then start to imagine you are performing a form in water or oil, and when you do this the subconscious mind suddenly provides this extra resistance by engaging these difficult to control postural muscles. Then, in a relative short time, all of these muscles develop greater strength and the body starts to develop a weightless quality.

Now, proper training in this I don't have, so I can't go much further on this topic, but what I do know is that moving against imagined resistances can generate a large amount of internal energy, and by increasing this imagine resistance, more energy is generated and it goes 'deeper' in to the body.

So what has this all got to do with FPCK and moving 'as slow as a shifting sand dune'. Well, while moving very slowly, you are actually engaging the postural muscles and you enter into a mental state where there is a very high level of mind-body integration. However, you don't do this against any resistance, so in order to get the energy to sink into the body you go slower and slower, the question is though, how slow should I go?

AARRGGHHH

The answer to this is something each person kind of has to work out by yourself. In one post on the FPCK thread, Sifu Terry Dunn does say that if you can, you actually start of moving so slowly that it is barely perceptible, and in time once the energy has started to flow, you can then start moving faster and still get results. The only problem with this speed is that it actually becomes very difficult to maintain as it can induce quite strong mental and physical challenges, and if the practice is too difficult, you're not likely to keep doing it. So instead, you start off moving at a rather faster pace, and when you body gets used to it, it will want to slow down some more on it's own accord.

At the moment, I am still learning what is the best speed to perform each moving meditation. I like to start off the session with 15 mins of static meditation, and then I follow it with a 20 minutes of moving meditation, any longer and it starts to become hard work. In order to go as slowly as possible I'm trying to perform whatever action I am doing once in that period. This is actually uncomfortably slow for me and I may well look into speeding up when my motivation levels start to dwindle, but as I only do one moving meditation per session, I'm managing at the moment.

How long will it be until/will I ever get to the point where the energy flows more easily? Don't know yet, apparently it is a function of how much negative karma you've got to burn off - which means I've got a very long wait indeed.

Short extra point 1 - this is actually a physically challenging practice in some ways, but I quite like that aspect.

Short extra point 2 - the energy it generates is quite 'yin'. However, to miss-appropriate some Neigong terminology, pure yin is required to cultivate pure yang, so I tell myself cultivating a yin type energy is no bad thing.

• Equanimity
Reactions: