Alchemical Garden Forum

Please visit Entering the Garden and discover what are our sustaining roots. You may only apply with us if you agree and consent to our Community Vision and Purpose and Ethos and Ethical Guidelines.

The registration includes writing a letter of application in which you sincerely tell us why you wish to join.

feedback Are There Any Forum Performance Issues? About Slowdown and Long Loading Times

Good constructive feedback helps us all get forward when it's directly given to the right people. Non-constructive initiatives are unlikely to garner attention or support.

Roots of Virtue

At Your Service
Staff member
I received a complaint that this forum has gradually become much more slower to use and even completely stopped loading on some browsers. Anyone notice this phenomenon?

Edit: I emphasize that it's supposed to be a long term effect that gradually sets in.

Last edited:

Earl Grey

Gonzo Daoist and Dharma Punk
Teacher
I received a complaint that this forum has gradually become much more slower to use and even completely stopped loading on some browsers. Anyone notice this phenomenon?

No, but I have noticed a lot of sites in general are loading slower. Could be related to the Facebook servers going down--a worldwide attack. Is this hosted on Amazon 3laws servers?

• Equanimity
Reactions:

Zork

Grand Inquisitor
Tutor

Edit: I emphasize that it's supposed to be a long term effect that gradually sets in.
I noticed this today and yesterday. It isn't always like that. Last night for example it took 3 minutes just to toggle "equanimity" at a post!

• Compassion
Reactions:

Miffymog

Student
I've got a really rubbish tablet that struggles whenever it is asked to do too much. It did pause early today when using this website, but I get the feeling that is due to to the forum using quite a bit of JavaScript rather than any issues with the server itself.

I can test this theory by turning off JavaScript and seeing if the forms still functions. Unfortunately I don't know how to turn JavaScript off on this tablet and I'm just off to work now so I can't test on my laptop. However this evening I will experiment with using this forum without JavaScript and see what happens.

Just had another thought, what I will also do tonight is go to the developer options in Google Chrome and that then brings up the an error log of of any JavaScript, if there lots there that also may give us a clue as to what's happening...

• Equanimity
Reactions:

Miffymog

Student
So, tried out the two things I suggested and they yielded no answers I’m afraid.

Turning off JavaScript might solve the slow response time, but I was not able to replicate the issue on my laptop so I can’t know this. Also, although doing this might help track down the issue, in and of itself, it offers no solution.

Ran the website with JavaScript on and looked at the developer console log, as it some times lists errors that the code encountered, but there were none there.

On only guess work, it feels as though the problem is more to do with the forum software on the client side rather than the servers, but I can’t know this.

When Original Dao was first getting set up I tried to help out on the technical side. In the end, I made little contribution to it’s running, however I did learn a lot about how a website forum is run.

In a situation like this, and with many issues related a website, the go to location for advice is the support forums for the software itself. While trying to help with the OD website I became very familiar with all these for the phpBB platform.

Either someone else has already had the problem before (most likely) and you can look up a possible solution, or you can ask for help with a new ticket, and the response time is always good.

• Equanimity
Reactions:

Zork

Grand Inquisitor
Tutor
Thanks for your contribution Miffymog. I haven't encountered the problem since and I don't know what happened. Roots of virtue is looking at the matter but it could be an isolated incident.

• Equanimity
Reactions: