Alchemical Garden Forum

Please visit Entering the Garden and discover what are our sustaining roots. You may only apply with us if you agree and consent to our Community Vision and Purpose and Ethos and Ethical Guidelines.

The registration includes writing a letter of application in which you sincerely tell us why you wish to join.

instructions Stillness-Movement Neigong

Good instructions and correct spiritual recipes are invaluable. Remember to practice well and with discernment.

Energetic conflict(s):      None. Only usual carefulness is asked.

Precaution(s):     
  1. Advanced (beginners would not benefit from trying to sidestep laying the correct foundation)
  2. Emotional Balance (training can become risky if one's heart is not calm)
  3. Teacher Needed (learning is too difficult without teacher's detailed assistance or supervision)

Discussion premise:      Comparative study (e.g. formal cultivation methods across different traditions, generic Qigong training principles, folk traditions, etc.)

Stillness-Movement Neigong​

From what I have read, Stillness-Movement is a comprehensive and deeply integrated system of Chinese internal skills that has found a solid foothold in the West. The head teacher and the current lineage keeper Michael Lomax studied extensively with his master Wang Juemin who had synthesized Stillness-Movement from the teachings of his five teachers. The skill to develop energy healing and thus helping others is promoted as the salient feature of this system: Much of Lomax's training involved clinical training and application of Wei Qi Liao Fa or 'external energy projection for healing' in a dedicated Qigong hospital in China.

My opinion is that if a person wishes to become a dedicated energy healer, then this might be one of the best styles to get interested about. Michael Lomax offers an in-depth accredited training that covers all the TCM principles along the way.

Although the training methods possess similarity to Daoist Neidan principles and the essence of internal alchemy is incorporated through sublimating energy into light, the Stillness-Movement system actually is a unique consolidation of both Chinese Buddhist and Daoist meditation. Based on the impression how Michael Lomax has emphasized the importance of awareness for understanding and practicing this style, I wouldn't consider it unsurprising if Stillness-Movement was best complemented by Buddhist Bodhisattva conduct, with emphasis on perfecting ethics and generosity, rather than what passes for the typically non-traditional and expressively nonchalant Daoist philosophy in the West.

Michael Lomax has written a book called A Light Warrior's Guide to High Level Energy Healing which details his spiritual and almost shamanistic experiences when practicing Stillness-Movement. It's a lineage where teacher gives an initiation and subsequent optional empowerments, so according to the lore it's going to connect the practitioner with those who have practiced the style earlier, especially the transcended masters. Michael has emphasized that much of learning and spiritual lessons can be gained through the sleeping practices of the style.

The style is currently taught through regular monthly distance classes. The past requirements for taking workshops with Michael Lomax have been: "An Open Mind, Your Doctor’s Permission, Gift of the Tao I & II DVDs, Willingness to Attend a minimum of one hour each Day and PRACTICE." Michael Lomax has further stated in the past that he asks new people to commit 100 days to the Stillness-Movement system to decide whether continue with it or not. During this probation period all other practices should be put aside in order to form an accurate assessment of the system. Stillness-Movement probably is compatible with many other styles and ways of practice, but considering the facts that its complete mastery takes time and dedication and that it's a very comprehensive system and that many people have reported how intensive energy it creates, it's probably not so good idea to practice it together with other formal types of energy training.

Please note that I'm not directly endorsing this style, but only pointing out that it exists as an opportunity for possibly authentic high-level internal practice. I have tried the system a bit, but I discontinued early because it wasn't my type of practice.

Last edited:
  • Equanimity
Reactions: