Alchemical Garden Forum

Please visit Entering the Garden and discover what are our sustaining roots. You may only apply with us if you agree and consent to our Community Vision and Purpose and Ethos and Ethical Guidelines.

The registration includes writing a letter of application in which you sincerely tell us why you wish to join.

group study Flying Phoenix 2022 Thread

Group study openly invites people to learn and exchange thoughts together based on premises that are always explicitly pointed out, however loose they might be. Any fixed discussion outcomes aren't called for, but the intent is in personal growth and understanding. It's good to keep mindful and respectful of both what is and what isn't relevant for discussion though.

Earl Grey

Gonzo Daoist and Dharma Punk
Ok, i wasnt aware you could harm yourself with these meditations.

Sifu Terry has said before that so long as you follow the instructions, there should be no problems. If you mix it up with inner smiles and MCOs or try to learn from other people--especially the videos from Jim Lacey--it is not recommended because of the potential for harm, and are beyond the scope of his ability to assess and help address any potential issues arising from purely FP practice.

• Equanimity
Reactions:

Earl Grey

Continuing my experiments with healing from sickness, as I posted elsewhere in a cross-discipline thread, I have more evidence of the wonders of FP qi for sickness. I still don't know if I have the Covid-19 Omicron variant, but I do have body weakness and a runny nose with phlegm and occasional throat irritation.

My focus today was trying to rest in spite of poor sleep and distress last night, then doing nothing but Flying Phoenix and stillness meditation.

I began with 20 minutes of MGAM, followed by flash meditation 2 (90 50 40 20), Wind Above the Clouds, Moonbeam, long form, then proceeded to basic seated meditation (5 60 80 40 30), AMSW 4 (60 70 40 5) and AMSW 5 (20 40 90 10). Even before stillness, the weakness, the fatigue, and the runny nose completely disappeared.

I felt my body moving much slower than usual, as though it knew how to pace itself to move the FP qi appropriately to heal.

When I finally sat in stillness for 15 minutes, the sinking of qi into the dantian helped reinforce the message to my body to heal and recover with a good attitude--an attitude helped by the soothing FP qi I might add--and create a kind of bliss that makes me ready to rest and see how I feel tomorrow.

Either practice could be separated and do wonders for sickness, but together there appears to be a good synergy between the two.

• Equanimity
Reactions:

Earl Grey

I began a brief project a few weeks ago prior to getting sick, and unsurprisingly, I've seen immediate results.

The original experiment was to use the hardening (iron shirt) practice taught in Xin Yi after Flying Phoenix. The former is also a good health practice: the late GM David's neighbor practiced every day, and while she was ten years older than her husband, she looked ten years younger than him. The Flying Phoenix practice is good for health and restorative, so my hypothesis was to use the hardening practice after Flying Phoenix to embed the body physically after saturating it with qi.

Within a week, I saw results: I was feeling almost no pain, even when hardening my groin area.

A response from Sifu Terry came quickly to clarify and prevent any possible deviations:

Interesting (and not surprising) effect you got from doing FPCK before your iron shirt practice.

If you've been doing your iron shirt for as long as you've been doing FP, I would say there's no problem in doing the 2 practices in close temporal proximity. But FP Qigong is designed for deep healing; it's restorative energy at a deep level will maintain a strong physiology over time. But it's not designed for withstanding trauma or any type of Hei Gung. There are several other Bok Fu Pai subsystems that develop effective Iron Shirt, including an "official" BFP Iron Shirt training that's part of the BFP Iron Palm. But I have to look up the old notes and videos (buried in LA storage) because I didn't practice it regularly nor focus on it--as I didn't need it, said GM Doo Wai, who had me concentrate on Bot Dim Gum (8 Sections Combined) art instead.

In general, I would say keep FP Qigong separate fron your xin Yi Iron Shirt practice. FP is purely for healing recovery.

But Advanced FP Qigong, which is a set of 9 very powerful standing moving meditations, would be ideal to do before your iron shirt practice. For Adv. FP cultivates a "broader" flavor of Healing Qi that crosses the line into martial energy.

As I have learned five of the nine meditations from attending Sifu Terry's intermediate streaming classes (again, I highly recommend these) and having a sufficient foundation of the basic levels of FP practice, I switched to using the AFP meditations before hardening.

I began with basic level FP, then ended with at least one AFP meditation. On busy days, I just did long form from volume 4 and MSW long form as taught to me privately, then the first AFP meditation. The results were drastically different: I felt no pain and had a far more developed instinctive martial sense developing, and like earlier with the basic level of FP before hardening, my face began to look more radiant as though I were a college kid in Southern California with well-moisturized skin again. My ability to handle pain and rooting improved dramatically as I was more dynamic when doing so, and I felt more force in my fajin exercises, as though embedding the AFP qi is like upgrading my gun by several calibers.

If anyone simply wants to look young and be healthy, I recommend instead of doing iron shirt hardening, just do the Longevity Self-Massage as taught by John Dolic after FP qigong, and for extra credit, do stillness meditation as taught by Rudi. Even just doing two out of these three is more than enough for radiant health.

For serious martial students...AFP and iron shirt are a brutal combination.

bane.jpg

• Equanimity
Reactions:

khuf

Student
For serious martial students...AFP and iron shirt are a brutal combination
@Earl Grey this is a fantastic experiment you've done here. I remember when I read through the Flying Phoenix thread on the Dao Bums site (reading it from the start again now), GM Doo Wai indicated to Sifu Terry that at the higher levels of the Flying Phoenix one can gain the ability to break through the iron body of another practitioner (hope i remembered this correctly). I guess this is the martial flavor that Sifu Terry spoke about to you in your post above. Thanks for this insight.

• Equanimity
Reactions:

Earl Grey

@Earl Grey this is a fantastic experiment you've done here. I remember when I read through the Flying Phoenix thread on the Dao Bums site (reading it from the start again now), GM Doo Wai indicated to Sifu Terry that at the higher levels of the Flying Phoenix one can gain the ability to break through the iron body of another practitioner (hope i remembered this correctly). I guess this is the martial flavor that Sifu Terry spoke about to you in your post above. Thanks for this insight.

Yes, specifically there is an advanced MSW meditation that he mentioned in a stream once that if you do it every day for a year, you can break iron shirt as though it weren’t there.

• Equanimity
Reactions:

Earl Grey

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT:
Sifu Terry has decided that the 6-volume CKFH DVD series teaching the FP Qigong will NOT be available on digital file format (mp4) but will continue to be available only on DVD at:
http://www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

Instead of selling digital downloads, Sifu Terry will be creating a subscription-based streaming service attached to www.taichimania.com where practitioners can select and stream any of the six CKFH DVD programs --as well as the Tai Chi For Health, Tai Chi Sword, Tai Ruler, and Liu He Ba Fa (6 Harmonies/8 Methods) programs--at any time during their subscription period. All will be notified when this streaming platform goes online.

• Equanimity
Reactions:

Pak_Satrio

Practitioner
Tutor
So this is quite interesting, the plant that is above the yoga mats and cushion I use for FP grows much taller and straighter than all the other plants in my flat.

Attachments

• EB2917F4-2FDD-4400-A225-007E6EF717AF.jpeg
    EB2917F4-2FDD-4400-A225-007E6EF717AF.jpeg
    390.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Equanimity
Reactions: